With the approach of the tax season, taxpayers are on their toes to file tax returns and fulfill their duty as responsible citizens of the country. Taxpayers either file returns on their own or hire the services of a tax preparer. As far as filing tax returns is concerned, you will come across a number of tax preparation Los Angeles agencies or firms and even qualified individuals that extend their help for a fee to prepare your tax files. But zeroing-on the right tax preparer is perhaps a bit tricky but with a little bit of due diligence you sure can zero-in on the right tax preparer.
In this article we will highlight upon the essential features – the Dos and Don’ts while choosing tax preparation Los Angeles individuals or agencies.
- Do a bit of homework prior to selecting the right tax preparer.
- Give yourself sometime to decide. As such you should start preparing for the tax return file quite early.
- Do ask few questions to the tax preparer like –
- How long has he been working in this field? Does he deal with taxes only or occasionally handles taxes and his core competency is in other branches of law.
- How much will he charge for offering the service to you?
- Is he well acquainted with the changing tax laws in every state?
- Will your tax preparer represent you in the event of a tax audit?
- How many cases has he dealt with that is similar to yours?
- Do ask your friends and peers whether or not they have any idea about the tax preparer’s background.
Don’ts while choosing a tax preparer
Given below are few instances that you must watch out for when you hire the services of a tax preparer in Los Angeles. These are as follows-
- Avoid hiring the tax preparer if he says that he charges a fee after he finds out what amount you have to pay as return
- Don’t hire a tax professional if he promises that he will help you to get some refund
- Don’t opt for the tax preparer if he does not ask about your tax filing history like details of W-2 wage statements and the like and blindly prepares your tax return.
- Is not willing to give you a copy of the tax return he has prepared
- Is not willing to provide details of his Social Security number and other details as the same is required as per the law.